Former Ireland Captain Ed Joyce called it quits on Wednesday from county cricket so he could focus on playing for his national side Ireland. He was retained by Sussex, just for cover but he decided to announce retirement anyway.
The announcement has not come as a surprise. Ed Joyce had made it clear that Ireland would be his first priority last year and ever since his focus towards Sussex has been limited.
Ed Joyce is looking forward to play test cricket for Ireland in 2018, when they are expected to get their test status. He seems to be extremely excited about that.
“County cricket has been a huge part of my life for the last 18 years and it is with a tinge of sadness that I’ve decided not to play this season or beyond,” Ed Joyce said of his decision. “I fully intended on playing at least some cricket for Sussex in 2017 but the realities of my various injuries, alongside my playing commitments here in Ireland have meant that this isn’t possible.
“So when Mark [Davis – coach] and Luke [Wright – captain] asked about my availability for the upcoming Championship games, I felt the best thing to do for me and the club was to retire from county cricket altogether so we could both move on. I’ll always feel like I’m coming home when I visit Hove in the future, which I plan to do as often as possible as a spectator. On a sunny day in the summer there’s no better city to be in, or ground at which to watch cricket. On the playing side, I’m still enjoying competing for Ireland and Leinster. With the prospect of Test cricket and full membership potentially on the horizon, it’s an exciting time for Irish cricket and I want to play my part in this process as long as I feel I can contribute on the field. “, Ed Joyce said.
Ed Joyce has been a decent county batsman. In fact, he made his international debut with England and then moved to Ireland. The 38 year old has 2349 runs in 72 ODIs.