The man who needs no introduction, the man who was a fear factor for all bowlers a few years back, was a treat to watch in the international arena for over two decades. Yes, we are talking about the run-machine from India, the “God of cricket”, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. This man has achieved so much in his cricketing career that no one could bother to reach any near to his records.
Here we look at some of the most amazing quotes on the little master
1. “Nothing bad can happen to us if we’re on a plane in India with Sachin Tendulkar on it.” -Hashim Amla, a South African cricketer, reassuring himself when he was travelling on a flight.
2. “There is two kind of batsmen in the world. One Sachin Tendulkar. Two all the others.” -Andy Flower, former Zimbabwe cricketer.
3. “The number of innings of his (Tendulkar’s) I have been able to sit back and watch, I think he is an amazing player. Look at his stats and records and it’s quite incredible for someone to have stayed in the game for 20 years. He has set benchmarks for guys like me to chase him and get as close as we can. If I had to last 20 years, I would probably be batting in a wheelchair!!”
-Ricky Ponting, Aussie batsman who once was expected to overhaul Sachin’s records.
4. “The joy he brings to the millions of his countrymen, the grace with which he handles all the adulation and the expectations and his innate humility – all make for a one-in-a-billion individual”.
-Glen McGrath, Aussie fast bowler.
5. “I want to clarify that this nightmare thing was a joke. Sachin is the best batsman of my time… but I am not scared of him, or anybody for that matter.” – Shane Warne, the legendary Aussie leg-spinner who was getting nightmares of Sachin Tendulkar after he was smashed all the way in the test at Chennai in 1998.
6. “I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India” – Matthew Hayden
7. “We did not lose to a team called India. We lost to a man called Sachin” – Mark Taylor, during the test match in Chennai (1997)
8. “Sachin Tendulkar has carried the burden of the nation for 21 years. It is time we carried him on our shoulders” – Virat Kohli after India won the 2011 World Cup
9. “If I’ve to bowl to Sachin, I’ll bowl with my helmet on. He hits the ball so hard” – Dennis Lillee
10. “I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I felt that this player is playing with a style similar to mine, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two.his compactness, technique, stroke production – it all seemed to gel!” – Sir Donald Bradman