George Bailey was born on September 7, 1982, in Launceston, Tasmania. The 33-year-old is popularly known for his leadership skills and calm temperament on the field.
Let’s have a look at some of his interesting facts you probably didn’t know.
1. Bailey’s great-great-grandfather is George Herbert Bailey, who was a part of the historic 1878 touring Australian squad to England. After this controversial series, Ashes was introduced.
2. Bailey is the guy that every parent will wish for. Not just sports, Bailey was also good with drama and public speaking, and yes, he scored high 90s in his HSC.
3. In an interview with Sydney Morning Herald, Bailey’s father John spoke about his son’s other interest. “He’s got a lot of interests which might not sound like a rough and tough footballer or cricketer. He likes his garden. When he comes home we talk a bit about cricket but he and his mother spend a lot of time walking around the garden in their house,” said John in an interview.
4. Bailey loved to play tennis and once his father banned him from playing the game because he wasn’t happy with his son’s behaviour. George had dropped the racquet. He learned from that and according to his father he never repeated the act.
5. He captained the national side in his first international game for Australia. He did that against the touring Indians. With this he became the second Australian skipper after Dave Gregory to captain the side in debut international match.
6. In his book,In the Firing Line: Diary of a Season, Ed Cowan wrote highly of Bailey. He recalled an instance when Bailey penned him a lengthy mail explaining what the opener needed to do to improve his game in one-day cricket. There’s the leader and team-man in Bailey.
7. Ricky spoke highly about his Tasmanian teammate George Bailey: “One of those guys who brings team together. His personality rubs off on everybody. Anyone who has played with him will know and understand that.”
8. He shares his name with American actor George William Bailey. Also in the 1946 filmIt’s a Wonderful Life,James Stewart played the role of the protagonist whose name was ‘George Bailey’.
9. Bailey holds the record of hitting the most runs in an over of a Test match (28 runs joint with Brian Lara). He did that against James Anderson at the WACA, Perth.
10. Bailey was bought by Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) in IPL auctions 2014 after he was benched in couple of seasons in the Chennai Super Kings’ dugout. In 2014 (7th edition) of the IPL, bailey led his KXIP team to the final of the tournament and missed the trophy by a whisker.