Nagpur have witnessed one of the most memorable test matches for both the teams where records accumulated in heaps. India beat South Africa by 124 runs in the third Test at Nagpur and won the series 2-0 with one match still to go. Frontline spinner Ravi Ashwin was adjudged MOM for his 12 wickets. Even the best in Africa’s batting line up whose records in spin tracks are splendid were made to dance in front of Ashwin, Jadeja and Mishra. Let’s have a look at the 11 major records that broke in Nagpur.
1. It has been 9 years since South Africa lost a Test series overseas; 2006 vs Srilanka (2-0) before India thrashed them in Nagpur, 2015.
2. Ashwin registered his best bowling figures in a Test innings (7/63) and that too was the best for an Indian against SA.
3. Murali Vijay’s 40 – The lowest ‘highest’ score in a Test win for India.
4. Ashwin has now 169 wickets, which is the most by any spinner in 31 Tests after Clarrie Grimmett’s 164 wickets.
5. Only once 20 wickets fell in a day before the 2nd day in Nagpur. AUS vs IND (Mumbai, 2004).
6. This was the only Test match for India, where no half-century was registered from both the teams.
7. 15 five-wicket haul for Ashwin now in Tests. The most by any bowler in first 31 Tests.
8. South Africa’s 79- The lowest score by any team against India in Tests. Previous lowest was by Sri Lanka (82).
9. 12-5. Lowest ever for South Africa in a Test innings for which they lost half their side.
10. Ravi Ashwin grabbed 55 wickets so far in this calendar year-the most by any bowler in Tests in 2015. Also 8 behind from India’s most in a calendar year; Harbhajan, 63 (2008).
11. Never before 32 wickets fell in first two days of a Test match in India.