Jemimah Rodrigues. While the World T20 World Cup was still a month away, many critics and experts predicted that this girl would be giving her best to cement her spot in the national side.
Proving their words right, she, in fact, came out all guns blazing in her maiden ICC outing against New Zealand in the first game. Her partnership with Kaur helped India to post a commendable total on the board and she also brought up her fourth T20I fifty in the process.
So who is Jemimah? What was her background? How did she get so involved in gentleman’s game and what’s the reason behind her attacking mindset in the middle order.
Let’s now look at a few of the facts on her.
1) As a youngster, Jemimah was passionate about Hockey. She represented in under-17 and under – 19 levels of hockey for Maharashtra team before marking her appearance in cricket.
2) Jemimah represented her state cricket side at the age of 12, she was the younger most member of their under-19 side.
3) She is now the youngest member of the current Indian side that is playing world T20 at Caribbean lands.
4) Her destructive performances in the domestic cricket earned her a national call-up in March earlier this year. She has represented the side in 4 ODI’S and 15 T20I’s and amassed over 430 runs combined.
5) Prior to her international outing, her fluent knocks of 202 and 178 against Saurashtra and Gujarat were widely spoken across this young talent. Few experts termed her ‘fearless’ as she had no mercy over bowlers in those matches and she batted with a strike rate over 100.
6) Sports marketing company Baseline Ventured signed up with her in the month of October. The company also manages stars like Ravindra Jadeja, PV Sindhu and other prominent young stars.
7) Her promising knocks fetched her Jagmohan Dalmiya Trophy for the domestic junior talent in 2018.
So the Indian side looks hungry to bring the trophy home. They are set to face arch rivals Pakistan on today’s encounter and it will be interesting to see if Jemimah a can replicate her heroics in this match too!