Probably, this edition of the World Cup would be one of the most forgettable outings for the Proteas. The selection dilemma existed till the last moment and this messed up their plans of execution.
As a consolation, they made sure to clinch victories on final two games (Sri Lanka and Kangaroos) and this brought about a change in semifinal fixtures too. But a cricket fan shouldn’t forget the turn of events that took place right after the side’s third consecutive loss against India.
AB de Villiers, their star player took retirement from the gentleman’s game last year. His absence left a greater void in all formats of the game and it is believed that this hurt their chances in the World tournament, as experts say.
However, a lot of reports surfaced online saying that he ensured his availability for the tournament to the board, if the services are needed at the moment. But none of them came from AB’s side.
AB finally spoke today on this issue and mentioned that he had to say it now, as this the tournament is already over for Proteas. He mentioned that he just had a call with Faf Du Plessis, the current skipper and said that he is available only in a very casual manner. He said that someone somewhere has created a fuss in this issue just to criticise him.
— AB de Villiers (@ABdeVilliers17) July 12, 2019
He made his statements clear through a series of four posts on social media handles. This is currently trending and a lot of fans are backing him for his act.
Not just fans, even Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh also conveyed his best respects for AB in the comments section.
Its now clear that there hasn’t been any request on his behalf to the CSA and a mistake from some end led to entire confusion.