Home Cricket News England Fast Bowler Brydon Carse Suspended For Betting Breaches, Misses Test Series Opportunity

England Fast Bowler Brydon Carse Suspended For Betting Breaches, Misses Test Series Opportunity

0
England Fast Bowler Brydon Carse Suspended For Betting Breaches, Misses Test Series Opportunity

Brydon Carse, a fast bowler for Durham and the England cricket team, has been handed a three-month suspension following an investigation by the newly established Cricket Regulator.

The investigation revealed that Carse had breached the ECB’s gambling rules by placing 303 bets on various cricket matches between 2017 and 2019. Although he did not bet on matches he was directly involved in, he did place wagers on games featuring his team, Durham.

Carse accepted the charges and cooperated fully with the independent regulatory body. The report from the Telegraph highlighted that his cooperation and other mitigating factors were taken into account when determining his punishment. Consequently, while Carse received a 16-month ban, 13 months of this suspension were deferred, resulting in a three-month active ban.

As a result of this suspension, Carse will be unable to participate in any cricket matches until August 28. This timing rules him out of potentially playing in England‘s Test series against the West Indies. Carse‚Äôs suspension underscores the serious consequences of breaching gambling regulations in cricket, even when the player is not betting on their own matches.

Brydon Carse

ECB Supports Decision in Carse’s Betting Breach, Sees It as a Learning Opportunity for Others

An ECB spokesperson said: “We take these matters extremely seriously and do not condone any form of anti-corruption breach in cricket. We support the Cricket Regulator’s decision and their consideration of the mitigating factors in Brydon’s case. He has co-operated and shown remorse for his actions.

We are satisfied that Brydon has shown growth in the five years since this breach and has demonstrated a greater understanding of his responsibilities. We are hopeful that his case can serve as an educational example for other cricketers.”

Brydon Carse, 28, has played 17 limited-overs internationals for England and was included in their squad for the 50-over World Cup in India last year. He also received a two-year central contract in the ECB’s latest round. While Carse has not yet played in Test matches, he was highlighted by Rob Key last year as a key part of England’s future plans across all formats.

With the retirements of James Anderson and Stuart Broad, there will be more opportunities in red-ball cricket for players like Carse.

Dave Lewis, the Cricket Regulator’s interim director, said: “The Cricket Regulator takes any breach of integrity or misconduct rules seriously and I would encourage any participant, from within the professional game, who has gambled on cricket to come forward and not wait to be discovered.”

“The Cricket Regulator understands the many challenges participants can face and will handle cases fairly, with understanding and support for anyone who wishes to come forward. We also encourage any participant struggling with any welfare concerns to seek assistance from the PCA or other trusted professional source.”


Get the latest cricket news here, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram for more such updates.

Latest Posts