Yesterday the 18-year-old, Abdul Samad made his IPL debut for the Sunrisers Hyderabad. The explosive right-handed batsman impressed everyone with his brief innings against the Delhi Capitals. Batting at number 5, Samad scored 12 off 7 balls in which he hot one gigantic six in his debut.
His explosive batting in the Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy earned him a reputation of being a fearsome strike. SRH saw the talent in Samad and made him a part of their squad for IPL 2020.
Before his blitz yesterday not many knew about Abdul Samad. So we try to find out 10 unknown facts about the talented batsman who made instant headlines.
10 Unknown Facts About Abdul Samad
1. Abdul Samad belongs from Kala Kot, Jammu & Kashmir. He made his T20 debut for J&K in the 2018-2019 season of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
2. His favourite player is none other than Rohit Sharma as he often imitates his style of batting in the nets. Samad loves the six-hitting strength of Rohit and since his childhood and aspires to bat like the Indian opener.
3. His father master Mohammad Farooq is a physical education (PE) teacher. Abdul’s father also is renowned for playing exceptional volleyball. He also played club cricket in the former state of Jammu and Kashmir.
4. Abdul Samad scored a sublime half-century in his T20 debut in the Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy. Playing against Nagaland, Samad scored 76* off mere 51 balls while opening the batting.
5. Abdul Samad impressed former India all-rounder and J&K mentor Irfan Pathan with his amazing skills during the trial in 2018. Pathan saw the talent in Samad and was immediately enlisted in the J&K side.
Pathan was ecstatic when he saw Samad got his debut cap of SRH in IPL 2020.
6. Abdul Samad so far has had a terrific T20 career. In just 11 matches he as scored 240 runs at a brilliant strike rate of 137. In 8 List A Odis, he has scored 237 runs at a striker rate of 126.
7. Abdul Samad made his Ranji Trophy debut last season from Jammu & Kashmir. He was the leading run-scorer for his side with 592 runs in 10 matches.
8. Before IPL 2020, Samad was part of the SRH trial in Hyderabad. The batsman slammed 48 runs in no time when his side needed 80 from 7 overs and took, in the end, took his side home.
9. Abdul Samad in the only the fourth player from Jammu & Kashmir to play in the Indian Premier League.
10. Sunrisers Hyderabad acquired Samad in the IPL auction at his base price of Rs. 20 Lakhs.