Former Indian skipper Sunil Gavaskar has broken his silence on the Indian batting collapse in Adelaide. From 7 for 1 Team India went down to 36 for 9 as Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood ran through the Indian batting line-up. From 7 for 1 at stumps on Day 2, the visitors were brought down to 19 for 6 inside the first half-hour of day 3 and were 31-9 after the fall of Hanuma Vihari for 8. India finally declared on 36 for 9 after Mohammed Shami coped up with an injury on his bowling arm. This was also India’s lowest ever total in Test Cricket.
Meanwhile talking to Channel 7 from the venue, Gavaskar shared his thoughts on the Indian batting collapse.
“I mean, any team that is all-out for its lowest test score since the time it started playing cricket, that’s never good to see. But having said that, if any other team had been facing that kind of bowling, they would have also got out.” Gavaskar told Channel 7 on Saturday.
Any Team Would Have Struggled Against This Bowling Attack: Sunil Gavaskar
While Pat Cummins took four wickets, Josh Hazlewood came up with his best-ever figures in test cricket of five for 8. Before this, India’s lowest Test score was 42, registered against England in the year 1974. Gavaskar said that although watching the team fold for 36/9 isn’t the most flattering, any team would have struggled against this Australian bowling attack.
“Maybe be not all-out for 36, maybe 72 or 80-90 but the way Hazelwood, Cummins bowled and the earlier 3-over spell from Starc, they asked a lot of questions. So it’s not fair to blame the Indian batsmen for the way they got out because it was just simply superb bowling by the Australian bowlers,” Gavaskar added.
India have a few headaches ahead of the second tet in Melbourne with their skipper Virat Kohli returning back home and the rest of the team down on confidence.