The third Test match between India and England will commence on February 24 (Wednesday) and it would be the first time that an international cricket match will take place at the Motera stadium – the world’s largest cricket stadium. The stadium has a capacity of 1,10,000 people impressing cricket lovers all across the globe.
Meanwhile, the entry of the spectators have been capped at 50 percent due to the coronavirus pandemic. However, the organisers are delighted to see crowds lighting up the stage with huge cheers and claps when the cricketers take the field for the first time.
The pictures of the beautiful Motera stadium are already doing rounds on the internet. However, it is not only the architecture, there are many other things that will leave the fans spellbound.
Here are some of the unknown features about the newly-built Motera Stadium in Ahmedabad:
1. Motera stadium has a capacity of 1,10,000 spectators making it the biggest cricketing venue in the world, surpassing the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
2. A total of INR 800 crore was spent to revamp this grand stadium in Ahmedabad. It had hosted its first ODI back in 1984.
3. There are a total of 76 corporate boxes in the stadium with a capacity of 25 each. All of these corporate boxes are air-conditioned.
4. A total of 3,000 cars can be parked at the venue as well as 10,000 two-wheelers. Not just the capacity of the fans inside the stadium but the parking space is also biggest all across the world.
5. The ground is mesmerizing but the venue also features a full-fledged cricket academy, numerous indoor pitches, and a number of facilities for other sports like football, hockey, basketball etc.
6. For the ease of commute, the stadium has also been linked with the Ahmedabad metro, making it extremely easy for fans to witnessing cricketing action at the venue without being stuck in traffic jams.
7. There are three entry points to the stadium which has been spread across 63 acres of land.
8. It is the first time that the field of an Indian cricket stadium has been fitted with LED lights. No other stadium has this feature.
9. A built-in clubhouse with 55 rooms further adds to the stadium’s glory. The clubhouse features both indoor & outdoor games, restaurants, an Olympic size swimming pool, gym as well as a 3D projector theatre.
10. Unlike some other venues, the Motera stadium has a food court at every stand.