Harsha Bhogle is one of the finest commentators in the history of cricket. A canny presenter with fast reflexes, Harsha can troll anyone at any time. An IIM graduate, Harsha Bhogle is different because apart from a very deep understanding of the game, but his way of presenting and sense of humour enthrals the television viewers.
Popularly known as Voice Of Cricket, Harsha Bhogle started commentating at the age of 19 with the All India Radio. In 1991–92, he became the first Indian commentator to be invited by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation during India’s cricket series before the 1992 Cricket World Cup.
He has also authored a couple of books including a biography of former India skipper Mohammad Azharuddin. Till date, Harsha remains one of the most celebrated broadcasters across the globe and inspiration from all the youngsters.
Here are some of the most famous quotes of Harsha Bhogle from the commentary box:
1) To be a commentator, you must have a life outside cricket, too. If cricket is all that you know, then you would not be a great commentator.
2) When Virender Sehwag was in smashing form and had many lucky escapes:
“It’s been that kind of a day. Today Sehwag can walk blindfolded across a busy highway and not get run over,” Harsha Bhogle bossed the commentary box.
3) If I cannot be Sachin Tendulkar then Tendulkar can also not be me.
4) Michael Atherton: “It is England, but India has more support in the stadium, and the pitch is completely assisting your spinners. Says a lot about our hospitality, right.”
Harsha: “Well we let you rule our nation for so many years. I believe that”s the least you can do for us.”
5) On Rajat Bhatia’s bowling :
“Any bowler has 3 pace variations: fast, medium, and slow. But Rajat Bhatia has-slow, slower and slowest,” Harsha Bhogle said as the commentary box bursts on to laughter.
6) During India vs Pakistan match in 2015 ICC World Cup at Adelaide:
“Adelaide is in Australia just on the map, otherwise it is just India and Pakistan,” Harsha Bhogle quipped looking a massive turnout in the game.
7) When Cheteshwar Pujara was playing very slowly in a T20 match :
“Pujara is a classical musician in the era of Yo Yo Honey Singh,” Bhogle looked in his zone.
Happy Birthday Harsha Bhogle 💙
A Few best Commentaries & Quotes by Harsha Bhogle on Sachin Tendulkar 👇😊
— S H E B A S (@Shebas_10) July 19, 2021
8) When Glenn Maxwell was going for runs:
“Glenn Maxwell is giving away so many runs that it seems Maxwell is bowling to himself,” Bhogle from the commentary box.
9) Among sportsmen are the noble, the diligent and the caring, as there are the callous, the cheats and the criminals.
10) Nasser Hussain: “When can I see India in the FIFA World Cup?”
Harsha Bhogle: “It’s better not to qualify than getting knocked out of first round.”
Sourav Ganguly: “If India had played football World Cup for 50 years, we would have played finals at least once unlike England.”
11) Geoffrey Boycott: “Sachin may be a great batsman but he has never been on the Lord’s honour board”
Harsha Bhogle: “So whose loss is it more, Sachin or the Lord’s honour board.”
12) When ‘The Wall’ Rahul Dravid was in sublime form-
“Ask him to walk on water and he’ll ask, how many kilometres,” Harsha Bhogle said
13) When AB de Villiers started hitting from the 1st ball-
“Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seat belts. We are ready for the take-off,” Bhogle introduced the former Protea batsman.
14) When India was losing against England in a Test match and Rahul Dravid was beside him in the commentary box:
“The only man who could have saved India is sitting next to me,” Bhogle said.
15) Across professions, consistency is a direct product of work ethic.