Home Cricket News Anrich Nortje Ruled Out Of India Test Series With Injury

Anrich Nortje Ruled Out Of India Test Series With Injury

Anrich Nortje Delhi Capitals replaces Chris Woakes with Anrich Nortje
Anrich Nortje

South Africa fast bowler Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the upcoming three-match Test series against India with a ‘persistent injury,’ the Cricket South Africa (CSA) said on Twitter. The hosts will not call any replacement for the seasoned campaigner.

Nortje’s absence against India could pave an international comeback for Duanne Olivier who last played a Test for South Africa in 2019. Olivier, who has 10 Test caps under his belt, returned to South Africa earlier this year after a Kolpak stint.

He has been among the wickets this season. In his four first-class matches in the Four-Day Franchise series, Olivier has bagged 28 wickets at an average of 11.14, returning best match figures of 9 for 95.

Meanwhile, South Africa will miss Anrich Nortje, who has South Africa’s premier fast bowler across formats in recent times. He has stepped up to the task in place of Kagiso Rabada, who has had mixed outings in the last couple of months. The 28-year-old pacer has played five of his 12 Tests this year and last represented his country in the format in the West Indies earlier this year in June.

Revised Squad: Dean Elgar (captain), Temba Bavuma (vice-captain), Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper), Kagiso Rabada, Sarel Erwee, Beuran Hendricks, George Linde, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Keegan Petersen, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Marco Jansen, Glenton Stuurman, Prenelan Subrayen, Sisanda Magala, Ryan Rickelton, Duanne Olivier.

India-South Africa Tests to be played behind closed doors

CSA said on Monday the three Tests and three ODIs would be played in front of empty stands because of pandemic fears.

A release said that “owing to the increasing Covid cases around the world, and the fourth wave locally, [CSA and the BCCI] have taken a joint decision to protect the players and the tour by not making tickets available” for sale, a move made to “avoid any breaches that could compromise the tour from a Covid-risk perspective and to also maintain a hazard-free bubble environment”.


Get the latest cricket news here and like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram for more such updates.