The COVID-19 pandemic had brought cricket to a standstill since March. Fans started getting agitated with no competitive cricket played all over the world. Until July when the England vs West Indies test series started in England.
If you thought if that’s the only cricket going around then your wrong. As Cricket South Africa have announced an exhibition match which will be played in a brand new format named 3TC. They have named the one-match exhibition game as the ‘Solidarity Cup’ as all earnings from the match will be donated to those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa.
1 Match: 3 Teams, 36 overs and 24 Players
The newly introduced 3TC format will see three teams play in the same match with 8 players in each side. The 3 team game affair will last for 36 overs. Each side will be playing 12 overs with their innings split into two halves of 6 overs. Cricket South Africa have also announced that Ab de Villiers, Quinton de Kock & Heinrich Klaasen will captain the three sides.
Full Squads of Kites, Kingfishers & Eagles:
Kites: Quinton De Kock (captain), Temba Bavuma, Jon-Jon Smuts, David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Anrich Nortje.
Kingfishers: Heinrich Klaasen (captain), Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Faf du Plessis, Thando Ntini, Gerald Coetzee, Glenton Stuurman, Tabraiz Shamsi.
Eagles: AB de Villiers (captain), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Andile Phehlukwayo, Bjorn Fortuin, Junior Dala, Lungi Ngidi.
Star Sports (India)
Date & Time
July 18 at 2:30 PM IST
- Each match consists of 3 teams of 8 players each.
- The 36-over match is split into two 18-over halves. There is also a break at half-time.
- Each innings of a team is 12 overs long. The two opposing teams will bowl 6 overs each.
- In the first half of the game, the three teams rotate between BATTING, BOWLING, and DUGOUT. The starting positions of the three teams are determined by a draw.
- In the second half of the game, teams bat in descending order of the scores in the first half, and if scores are tied, the first half order is reversed.
- After the 7th wicket falls, the last batsman can bat alone but can only score in even numbers of runs. However, if the 7th wicket falls in the first half, the team has to forego the remaining balls in that half. The last batsman resumes his team’s innings in the second half.
- Bowling teams will be given one new ball for all their 12 overs. This ball will be used for both teams they bowl too.
- Each bowler can bowl a maximum of 3 overs. These 3 overs can be split across both innings, and in any permutation to either of the two opponents. An uncompleted overdue to the fall of the 7th wicket will be filled with dot balls on the scorecard.
- 3 additional fielders are allowed in the game since each team has only 8 players. These can be selected by each team or provided by the DUGOUT opposition, in which case fielding restrictions may be applied.
- Cricket rules for wides, no-balls and bouncers apply.
- Rain-hampered games can only be shortened to 18, 24 or 30 overs. A formula has been laid down by 3TC in this regard.
- The teams in descending order of runs win Gold, Silver and Bronze respectively. If 2 teams tie with most runs, a Super Over will decide who wins the Gold. If all 3 teams tie, all get Gold and there is a tie for second place, Silver is shared.