Former batsman and the Chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar believes that India needs to strengthen their batting unit. He feels that star Mumbai Indians batted Suryakumar Yadav should be given the opportunity to in playing XI. Dilip Vengsarkar also mentioned that Suryakumar Yadav should be given preference over Hanuma Vihari. After the massive batting failure, Vengsarkar suggested India should drop a bowler and go with six batsmen the next Test match
“I don’t like to sound as if it’s a knee-jerk reaction but I firmly believe we need to strengthen our batting line-up by including Suryakumar Yadav ahead of Hanuma Vihari. We should drop a bowler and go in with six batsmen,” Dilip Vengsarkar told PTI in an exclusive interaction.
Dilip Vengsarkar Recommends Changes For Oval Test
Surya has a batting average of 44+ plus in first-class. Meanwhile, Dilip Vengsarkar feels that Suryakumar Yadav has that skill which India needs and he should be included in the playing XI before it’s too late for India .
“Surya can match (in terms of skills) with the best in this Indian team and since he’s around for some time now he should be included before it’s too late,” the 1983 World Cup winner added.
We will look to bounce back in the fourth Test, starting September 2.
— BCCI (@BCCI) August 28, 2021
“If your top six don’t do the job there is no guarantee that the extra guy can bail you out”: Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli has told that India doesn’t have any plans of playing extra batsman in the team. Also, he believes previously India has performed well with 6 batsmen in the team. He stated:
“I don’t believe in that balance and I have never believed in that balance because either you can try and save a defeat or you can try and win a game. And we have drawn games in the past with a similar number of batters. If your top six (including keeper) don’t do the job there is no guarantee that the extra guy can bail you out. You have to take pride in taking responsibility and doing the job for the team. If you don’t have the ability or resources to take 20 wickets in a Test match, then you are already playing for two results and that’s not how we play,”
The Indian captain Virat Kohli also hinted a change in playing XI. As Kohli feels that the management won’t force players to perform beyond their limitations.
“That’s bound to happen as it’s a logical and sensible thing to do. We don’t want to push individuals to a place where they break down and that conversation is important.“We will have that conversation with individuals and you can’t expect that in a short turnaround like these guys can play four Test matches in a row. So, we will assess who are the guys who will be given that many number of days to recover and be okay for the fifth one,” he added.
The winning moment!! 🙌https://t.co/UakxjzUrcE
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) August 28, 2021
After India has lost the 3rd match against England by an inning and 76 runs, the 5-match Test series is leveled at 1-1. Meanwhile, Joe Root’s men and Virat Kohli-led India will be heading to Kennington Oval for the 4th Test which will begin on 2nd September 2021.