Craig Overton picked three wickets as England bowled India out for 278 in their second innings. It was he who started the slide picking up KL Rahul early in the innings for just 8 runs. Towards the end, he dismissed Ravindra Jadeja (30) and Mohammed Siraj (0) to cap off the Indian innings as they succumbed to an innings defeat. Overton replaced Mark Wood in the playing Xi who was ruled out with an injured shoulder.
He made an instant impact in the game picking three wickets in the first innings and three in the second. He had match figures of 6/61 in the match. In this article, we take a look at a few key facts from Craig Overton’s career.
5 Facts About Craig Overton
1) He made his Test debut in 2017-18 Ashes Test series and picked up Steve Smith as his first Test wicket. Smith scored 687 runs in that series and ended as the highest run-getter. Overton played two Tests and picked up six wickets. He replaced Ben Stokes in the playing XI in his debut Test in Adelaide.
2) He had two defining first-class seasons in 2013 and 2015. After coming back from a stress fracture in 2013, he picked 42 wickets and compiled 431 runs with the bat. The seamer grabbed headlines in the 2015 season, where he averaged 21.70 with the ball while picking 43 wickets. He also scored 320 runs with the bat in the 2015 season.
3) Overton is a product from England’s U-19 circuit. He played 16 OIs as a U-19 player between 2011 and 2012. He scored a total of 350 runs at an average of 26.92 with a high score of 68* as well as taking 14 wickets at 35.57
4) Overton enjoyed another successful season in 2016 as he again made over 400 runs and took 34 wickets in the County Championship. During a Championship game against Hampshire, Overton made his maiden first-class century, scoring 138 as part of a stand of 217 for the eighth wicket with Roelof van der Merwe.
5) Craig Overton and Jamie Overton are twin brothers with Jamie being three minutes younger to Craig. He also is a highly rated fast bowler in the domestic circuit for Somerset.