English speedster Ollie Robinson has been handed an eight-match ban, Ollie has already completed 3 match ban, with 5 of them are suspended for 2 years. This means the remaining five-match ban will be decided after two years. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will have a close look at Robinson’s behavior and if he changes himself his ban will be overlooked otherwise he will have to serve the complete ban.
As Ollie Robinson has finished 3 match ban he is cleared to play for England immediately. However, Ollie also has been fined £3,200 or INR 2.83 Lakhs for his old offensive tweets.
The racist and sexist tweets were posted by Robinson in the year 2012 and 2014 when he was 18 and 20 years old. These came into light when he made a memorable debut at the home of cricket Lords Cricket Ground. And since his old tweets went viral he was made unavailable for selection in the team.
JUST IN: Ollie Robinson has been handed a suspension of 8 matches, 5 of those suspended for 2 years, following an investigation into his historic offensive tweets.
Three matches have already been served and he is available to play immediately. He has also been fined £3,200 pic.twitter.com/YOnwSHH2Yw
— ESPNcricinfo (@ESPNcricinfo) July 3, 2021
After the tweets went viral after the first Test between England and New Zealand, Ollie instantly issued an apology but few fans and cricket experts believed that apology was not enough for his behavior.
Tom Harrison, ECB Chief Executive Officer, said:
“We accept the decisions made by the Cricket Discipline Commission and the sanctions they have imposed
“Ollie has acknowledged that, whilst published a long time ago when he was a young man, these historic tweets were unacceptable. He has engaged fully in the disciplinary process, admitted the charges, has received his sanction from the CDC, and will participate in training and use his experiences to help others.
“Given he has served the suspension handed down by the CDC, he will now be available for selection for England again. We stand against discrimination of all forms, and will continue working to ensure cricket is a welcoming and inclusive sport for all.”
Ollie Robinson embarrassed for what he did back then
“I fully accept the CDC’s decision. As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologize unreservedly for their contents,” he said in the statement.
“I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offense. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.
“Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the PCA.”
Notably, now Robinson will be available for selection in the high profile 5 Test match clash between India and England which will begin on August 04.