Ali Khan became the first cricketer from the USA to play in the Indian Premier League. The Kolkata Knight Riders signed him as the replacement for Harry Gurney, who will miss the season due to a shoulder injury. KKR’s new overseas recruit Ali Khan comes into the IPL season on the back of a good CPL 2020 season.
Ali Khan thus etched his name into the history books by being the first-ever IPL signing from his country. He plays for the Trinbago Knight Riders in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL). He picked up eight wickets for TKR in the season and was a member of their title-winning squad. This was the fourth time TKR were crowned CPL champions.
It was his good show in the CPL, which made the KKR managing director Venky Mysore sign him in for this season. He was in KKR’s radar since 2018 and was in constant touch with Shah Rukh Khan and Mysore as well. Ali Khan will join KKR’s well-rounded pace battery including the likes of Pat Cummins, Lockie Ferguson and Andre Russell among the overseas names.
Here’s all you need to know about KKR’s New Overseas Recruit Ali Khan:
1) Ali Khan was born and brought up in Pakistan. He moved to the USA with the dream of playing cricket. He then worked hard and made it to the USA’s national team.
2) He has played only one ODI for his side. He took three wickets in the 49th over against Namibia in 2019, to help his team save their ODI status. He was also Man of the Match in USA’s first win over Kenya in 2018.
3) Ali Khan has been playing in various T20 franchises across the globe. He has played in the Pakistan Super League, Global T20 Canada, Abu Dhabi T10 league, Bangladesh Premier League and few other leagues along with playing in the CPL for TKR.
4) Ali Khan has been playing for TKR since 2018 and has been among the wickets every season. He picked up 16 wickets in 2018, 10 in 2019 to go with another six in 2020.
5) Khan has played nine List A matches and 36 T20s so far in his career.
Also Read: CPL 2020: Team Of The Tournament