Kings XI Punjab CEO Satish Menon has squashed all reports of star batsman Karun Nair suffering from COVID-19. Incidentally, a report suggests Karun has recovered from COVID-19 and will travel with the side to the UAE.
Meanwhile, the franchises have started preparation for the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League. UAE will host the tournament from September 13 owing to a spike in the number of positive COVID-19 cases in India.
In the wake of this, media reports stated Rajasthan Royals fielding coach Dishant Yagnik as the second COVID-19 positive among IPL bound members. It meant Karun Nair is the first COVID-19 positive member. But the reports claimed that he has recovered completely and will travel with the side.
Karun Nair never had COVID-19 – KXIP CEO
However, KXIP CEO Satish Menon has quashed all such reports claiming them as false. He stated that the 28-year-old cricketer from Karnataka didn’t contract COVID-19 and has already started training.
“This is absurd, there is no truth in these reports. He had some mild fever, that’s all. Nothing to do with coronavirus. He’s perfectly alright and has started training. All our boys have started their training in their respective cities,” he told the Times of India.
Karun Nair has been a part of the Kings XI Punjab set-up since 2018. He has scored 306 runs in 14 matches at a decent strike-rate of 134.80. The management will want him to deliver the goods as they chase their maiden trophy.
Meanwhile, Kings XI Punjab has a new leadership this time around. Anil Kumble is the head coach of the side with flamboyant cricketer KL Rahul leading the side. Currently, the former India skipper is guiding the players with their individual training programmes.
“Kumble has been very busy monitoring the players’ training and fitness once the dates of the IPL had been announced. Not only the Karnataka players, but the head coach is also virtually keeping an eye on youngsters like Ishan Porel, who is training in Kolkata,” Menon said.
Meanwhile, Kings XI Punjab will base in Dubai and train there ahead of the start of the tournament. They will be carrying eight net bowlers and will have to stay in six-day quarantine period upon reaching the UAE.