England’s young T20 sensation Tom Banton has pulled out of BBL 10 owing to bubble fatigue as per latest reports. Banton, who plays freelance cricket for various T20 franchises was a part of KKR in the recently concluded IPL season. His contract with Brisbane Heat was extended just before the dates for the new BBL season was announced. Meanwhile, another Heat overseas player Mujeeb Ur Rahman was hospitalised after testing COVID-19 positive in his quarantined hotel.
Banton’s absence has increased problems for the Heat who will be now missing two key overseas players before the start of their campaign opener against Melbourne Stars. Banton said spending time in bubbles was harder than he thought which is why he decided to opt-out of the BBL season.
“It has been harder than I thought, spending so much time in the hubs and bubbles, and I came to the realisation that it wasn’t doing me much good,” Banton said in a statement released by the club.
“I know the Heat looked after me really well during the BBL last year and I was confident that they would understand when I spoke to Boof (coach Darren Lehmann) and Lynny (captain Chris Lynn) about going home to regroup” Banton further added.
Tom Banton Opts Out of BBL 10
Meanwhile, his BBL club has extended their complete support to Tom Banton, who was a revelation for the sid in his first season. The explosive right-hander will return for BBL’s next edition though, having signed a two-year contract extension with the club following a memorable debut season in 2019-20.
Tom Banton has extended his good wishes to the club before their campaign opener against Melbourne Stars on December 11.
“I’d like to thank the fans and members who are getting ready to support the Heat during the tournament and pass on my regrets to them that I won’t be there. I will miss playing in front of the crowds at the Gabba and the Gold Coast who were so passionate about the Heat and hope that I can repeat that experience again in the future.”
Also Read: Mujeeb Extends Contract With Brisbane Heat