Rajasthan Royals gave a maiden cap to Chetan Sakariya as they are facing Punjab Kings in their season opener in Mumbai. The Royals won the toss and asked Punjab to bat first. Both teams have a galaxy of superstars and the Royals youngster is one to watch out for. The Royals finished last in IPL 2020 which is why they have added several new faces into their squad ahead of the new season.
In this article, we take a look at who Chetan Sakariya is. The Royals debutant has already picked a wicket in his second over. Here are some unknown facts about the youngster.
5 Unknown Facts About Chetan Sakariya
1) Sakariya’s family hails from Vartej, a small town ten kilometers west of Gujarat’s Bhavnagar district. There is still no television at home, so his father goes to his friend’s shop to watch whenever the 22-year-old is playing.
2) Sakariya made his List A debut for Saurashtra against Baroda in 2018. His first domestic T20I debut was against Railways a year later in 2019. He made his first-class debut against Gujarat in 2018.
3) Chetan Sakariya picked up 12 wickets from five games for Saurashtra in the recently concluded Vijay Hazare Trophy. The season was won by Mumbai beating Uttar Pradesh in the final.
4) Sakariya made his U-19 debut for Saurashtra in the Cooch Behar Trophy. He picked up 18 wickets in six games, including 5 for 84 against Karnataka Under-19 to help his side to a first-innings lead. Impressed by his performance, the Saurashtra Cricket Association sent him to the MRF Pace Foundation.
5) During the 2018-19 season, Sakariya got selected for the Syed Mushtaq Trophy but didn’t a chance in the XI. Later, he made his List A debut in the Vijay Hazare Trophy but played only one game. The big break came during the Ranji Trophy. He played till the final and ended the season with 29 wickets from eight matches.