Team India once again pulled off a stunning batting performance in the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 in the first semi-final against New Zealand on Wednesday, November 15 at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. They put on 397 on the board, on the back of a strong performance from the batting unit. The innings witnessed several records being shattered.
Rohit Sharma opened the innings along with Shubman Gill. The duo got India off to a perfect start, with the team quickly racing to 71 runs. Rohit was dismissed for 47 runs off 29 deliveries. Following his dismissal, Virat Kohli came out to bat. The prolific run-scorer once again showcases his prowess, slamming a century in the match. He scored 117 runs at a strike rate of 103.54.
The innings also witnessed another century as Shreyas Iyer smashed 105 runs. Shubman Gill stayed unbeaten on 80 runs, after making a comeback in the innings.
A stellar batting display by #TeamIndia as we set a target of 398 in Semi-Final 1! 🙌
Over to our bowlers 💪
— BCCI (@BCCI) November 15, 2023
List of records broken by Team India batters against New Zealand in Semi-final 1
– Virat Kohli made history with his century against New Zealand. This is his 50th century in ODI cricket, the most by any cricketer. Sachin Tendulkar held the record earlier with 49 ODI centuries.
– Shreyas Iyer slammed the third-fastest World Cup century for Team India. He got to a three-figure mark in 67 deliveries. KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma are ahead of him in the list. KL Rahul slammed a century off 62 deliveries earlier in the tournament against the Netherlands, while Rohit slammed a 63 ball 100 against Afghanistan.
– The Indian innings witnessed three 50-plus scores in the match. This is the fourth instance of three players scoring 50-plus runs in a World Cup knockout team innings.
– Rohit Sharma became the first batsman in the World Cup to hit 50 or more sixes. He broke Chris Gayle’s record of hitting 49 sixes. Rohit Sharma has already 51 sixes in this tournament.
– The Indian skipper has also hit the most number of sixes in a single edition of the World Cup. He has slammed 28 sixes in the 2023 ICC ODI World Cup so far.
– India’s 397-run total against New Zealand is the highest team total in World Cup knockouts. New Zealand earlier held the record slamming 393 runs against West Indies in 2015. Overall, this is India’s third-highest total at the World Cups.
– The Indian batters slammed 19 sixes against New Zealand in the semi-final. This is now the most number of sixes in a World Cup knockout team innings.