BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has now cleared the air around the Shubhman Gill replacement controversy. Shubman Gill was recently injured after the World Test Championship Final against New Zealand. The Indian team management had requested that both Prithvi Shaw and Devdutt Padikkal should be flown in as replacements.
BCCI recently denied these requests and have stated that KL Rahul and backup opener Abhimanyu Easwaran should be used. Apart from that Mayank Agarwal will become the first choice opener along with Rohit Sharma. Sourav Ganguly has now stated that it was solely the selectors call that the replacements were not sent.
The Indian team management on June 28, through administrative manager Girish Dongre, had requested two openers as a replacement, preferably Prithvi Shaw and Devdutt Padikkal.
But the chairman of selectors,Chetan Sharma, till a couple of days back, hadn’t sent any formal reply to that mail as four openers are already in the UK.
When asked about the contentious issue, Ganguly, while addressing reporters on his 49th birthday on Thursday, said: “That’s selectors’ call.”
IPL To Be Held In September
“Nothing will happen,we will manage. It will start in September, we will chalk out the nitty-gritty,” he said.
India was also supposed to host the T20 World Cup in the month of October-November but that has been shifted to UAE as well. The main reason stated by Sourav Ganguly was that they have kept the current situation in mind before taking this call.
“There will be regret but no one has witnessed such a situation in their entire lifetime. These are exceptional circumstances,” he said.
“Last year the World Cup got cancelled and this year if again the World Cup gets cancelled because of COVID, then it’s a massive loss for the game. That’s why we have taken it into a safer place,” he added.
India is all set to play a 5 match Test series against England starting August 4th.